Monday, January 6, 2014

DON'T FORGET TO FEED THE ANIMALS





Cold cold cold weather.  
Don't forget to put out extra food for the critters, especially the birds.  

How do they survive such cold temperatures?




We've got a deck full of cardinals, woodpeckers, bluejays, carolina wrens, nuthatches, juncos, mourning doves, and various wrens and finches enjoying the seed and suet I keep out for them.  And they provide me with some good reference photos 
(Sweetie would do a better job on the photos with his camera but he's busy so it's up to me to point and shoot and hope for the best!).







And here is a lovely poem for you...

A January Dandelion
by George Marion McClellan
 
All Nashville is a chill. And everywhere 
Like desert sand, when the winds blow, 
There is each moment sifted through the air,
A powdered blast of January snow. 
O! thoughtless Dandelion, to be misled 
By a few warm days to leave thy natural bed, 
Was folly growth and blooming over soon. 
And yet, thou blasted yellow-coated gem, 
Full many a heart has but a common boon 
With thee, now freezing on thy slender stem. 
When the heart has bloomed by the touch of love's warm breath
Then left and chilling snow is sifted in, 
It still may beat but there is blast and death 
To all that blooming life that might have been.
 
  

6 comments:

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Rhonda,
You, my dear, and Jerry, too, are very kind people.
What a wonderful poem, too.
You may have trouble believing this, but your post brightened my day!
Thanks and stay warm.
Sincerely,
Gary.

Anita's art said...

Lovely thoughts. Stay warm

laura said...

Good advice, Rhonda. I filled all my feeders this afternoon, and will go out and pour some warm water in the birdbath tomorrow.

Sadami said...

Oh, sooo sweet Rhonda! See, I've told you you're very kind. (I want to be one of birds coming to your place?! No need to worry about food?!) Thank u for sharing wonderful post, beauitufl phoots and a nice poem.
Best wishes, Sadami

Autumn Leaves said...

Look at the woodpecker! Amazing photos, I think, Rhonda.

RH Carpenter said...

Oh, I'm so glad, Gary, I brightened your day for whatever reason :)

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment, Anita!

Laura, my sunroom doors/windows are frozen shut and I'm almost out of bird seed but it'll thaw tomorrow!!

Sadami, I get so much enjoyment out of watching the birds, I like to have them come and gather around the feeders and tables (I toss seed below the tables outside for the ground feeders).

Sherry, that's not our biggest - we've had the Pilated ones come by in the spring = huge!!!