Saturday, October 13, 2012

HOT PEPPERS!


I'm teaching my beginner class two ways to paint:  glazing layers, with each layer drying completely before going back to do another layer - and wet-in-wet and juicy.  The same photo is done both ways, working on both at the same time (well, putting the glazing one aside and working on the wet-in-wet while the glazing dries; you know what I mean!). 



(First painting started wet-in-wet = wet the shape, then drop in the watercolor pigments, letting them blend and merge within the shape).



I started in class with the others but couldn't do anything more with them because I want them to see how I do it so they know the technique (afterall, all we really teach others is techniques we've learned). 







Second painting (sorry for the yellow cast to the paper; it was all that yellow the camera was seeing in the peppers) = glazing wet over dry paper, allowing each layer to dry before doing another layer the same way.



So Thursday when I took a drive (gorgeous fall colors and the fog hung over the Ohio River like a fuzzy grey-white blanket) over to Deb's to paint with Deb and Sharon, I started a new pepper painting.  Wet-in-wet and juicy.  I'm liking it so far.  Sharon was painting realistic fish on a cutting board and another version in wild colors a la Carol Carter (as I remembered Carol's colors she uses); Deb was painting another Asian pattern-inspired painting, building up color and contrast slowly but surely.

I hope you had some time to paint this week! 
Now Sweetie and I are going over to Rising Sun, Indiana to the Navy Bean Fall Festival and Art Show - one last day of great fall weather before storms come through here tomorrow.  Get out and enjoy each fall day you can while the sun shines, the leaves glow and your allergies will allow it :)

9 comments:

Vandy said...

These are gloriously juicy peppers. Fabulous intense colours, Rhonda.

Unknown said...

I love the intensity of colour in your picture but the best for me is the wonderful shadow work that you've produced.

RH Carpenter said...

Thank you, Vandy - coming from you, that is a high compliment!

Mick, thanks so much; I am glad you like that shadow work - I love having the freedom to drop lots of colors into the shadows of any work.

Autumn Leaves said...

All beautiful starts, Rhonda. I can't wait to see them finished! I really love the way you make both techniques work so beautifully.

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

That pepper has some intense color, and your shadows are so colorful, as they should be! Nice work with all of these...Hugs

Jane said...

Love these peppers and the wonderful bold red and yellow colors, so pure and happy.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much for your comments, Sherry, Susan and Jane!

Sharon Whitley said...

I tend not to glaze - probably impatience on my part - I don't like waiting for things to dry! Having said that I really think I should try it out more but I love the wet and juicy style too much at the moment! Beautiful peppers - I love painting fruit and veg, you can really go to town on colour!

RH Carpenter said...

I don't often glaze, Sharon - too impatient and love the look of wet-in-wet! But it does come in handy once in a while to get a different look.