Tuesday, October 9, 2012

FRUITS AND VEG


I'm slowly working up the heirloom tomatoes.  I don't want them to get dull but, truthfully, those type of tomatoes aren't bright red but a dull red with dull green stripes so I guess I'm getting there.

This is a full sheet (22" x 30").  It will come together more when I put in the area around the tomatoes.






And this may be the last of the Pear Series!  I'm calling it Stained Glass Pears.


I'm moving on to peppers now, having my beginner class do two paintings from the same photo:  one will be done wet-in-wet and one will be done by glazing layers of colors.  I think that will teach them 2 very different techniques and they can choose which style they like.  Myself, I prefer the spontaneity and looseness of wet-in-wet.  Nothing like seeing the pigments blend and bleed and mix on wet paper!





The photo of peppers I'm using was taken from the Image Reference Library at WetCanvas.com - totally copyright free photos there to use, if you're a member (and membership is free).  I picked 3 different photos and had the students choose their favorite to paint. 




I hope you are having a good week so far.  As for me, I've been struggling since I caught a cold the first week of September.  Can't shake the sinus and cough problems and am seeing my allergist today.  I think this fall there is so much pollen in the air, even people who never had allergy problems before are suffering and I'm miserable.  Time to do something about it!

15 comments:

Sadami said...

Hi, Rhonda,
Take care. Take a rest well.
Best wishes, Sadami

Judith Farnworth Art said...

Am liking how the tomatoes are coming along....22x30 is BIG... never done one that size, 25x20 is the biggest I've attempted so far.

Was really interested to read that you are going to do 2 demos next time as I was thinking of doing exactly the same with my class next time. From the last class I think I have seen that some don't seem quite ready for paint mixing on the page and may get better results as you say with some glazing and simpler ways of doing things... mixing on the page is a challenge to most of us... it is so beautifully unpredictable but the urge to keep fiddling with the brush proved too great for most last time, so think I need to introduce it more gradually.

Studio at the Farm said...

The Heirloom tomatoes are coming along so well, Rhonda. And the peppers look great! Good idea to present your students with the two techniques like that. I do hope you are feeling MUCH better soon. That virus/cough seems to linger for weeks.

AK said...

Turning out really well. Keep going.

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Rhonda...your heirloom tomatoes look like they are coming along so nicely. Your stained glass pears are stunning. Watercolor has so many wonderful sides. I too like the wet into wet but glazing brings out the most gorgeous stained glass colors. Hope you get better soon - do think you are right about allergies this year. Take care!

Autumn Leaves said...

I am loving these pieces, Rhonda, especially stained glass pears! I hope you feel better soon. I agree with you on the pollen and here they have begun harvesting the old dead corn (bad season for farmers here in IL) and I find both eyes and nose burning and hear a bit of a rasp in my breathing. Darned allergies!

RH Carpenter said...

And you, too, Sadami - rest your hand, dear one!

Judith, yes, wet-in-wet and mixing on the page can be daunting; I'm hoping to show both ways so they can see which they are good at and like best.

Thanks, Kathryn, Debbie and Sherry - after the allergist trip and the meds, I already feel lighter in my head - lots of meds for a while but the nasal spray is already working.

Thanks, Asit! Good to hear from you :)

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

I like your heirloom tomatoes and will look forward to your peppers. Love the stained glass pears.

Take care of that cold!

Nick said...

keep experimenting, that's where all the cool stuff happens. hope you feel better soon, you seem to be prone to colds - move to Florida?

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks Carol and Nick! Nick, not a cold - allergies with a Capital AAAA!!! Have always had problems but under control until this fall and it's a mess in the Ohio Valley area - everyone suffering. Move...maybe to Oregon or Washington although Jerry would pick Florida. You have been blowing everyone out of the water lately - congratulations!!

MILLY said...

The tomatoes are looking good and I like the shines on the skin. Sorry you are not feeling too well, head and sinus problems do make it so hard to concentrate and it feels so frustrating when you want to paint ! Hope you get it sorted.

Caroline Simmill said...

Hi Rhonda love the watercolour washes you really are producing some wonderful work. I would be interested in reading about what brushes, paints and paper you are using. Hope you feel better soon.

irinapictures said...

Full sheet paper, wow. I tried big size in drawing class, painting folds in oil, it felt as if I was painting on the fence, too big first time.
Why don't you paint live peppers in the class? It could be fine to eat them afterwards with some salted cheese..
I wish you fight the cold asap. Keep warm!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Milly, Caroline and Irina :) Irina, I felt the same when I first painted on a full sheet - now it doesn't seem that big at all! ha ha
Caroline, I use only Daniel Smith watercolors with a few Holbein colors I've picked up and Arches 140# cold press watercolor paper and Fabriano 140# cold press paper and right now I'm in love with the DaVinci cosmo-top spin round brushes :)

Suzanne said...

oneYour painting are wonderful. I am curently learning how to use watercolour.