Monday, July 18, 2011

SMALL BITS OF PAPER AND PAINT

Doing some study/practice pieces using the paintings in the Gordon MacKenzie landscape book as stepping off places.  I love the look of his work and thought, maybe, just copying his paintings would give my brush some kind of memory (like muscle memory) for landscapes. 


So...I started the first one a couple of days ago.  I didn't read all the comments  saying, "Leave it!" and just had to go back and darken some tree trunks.  It didn't make it a better painting at all.  Again, the lesson = leaving the painting alone and knowing when it's time to do that before ruining it!




This second one I liked for his use of blues and blue-greens.  A copy of part of his larger painting to fit in my small landscape travel watercolor pad (Arches 6 x 10).  His version has much darker trees but I'm going to leave this one alone - yes, I am, I am, I AM!!!

I would like to be able to paint these small things in less than 30 minutes, then just walk away and let them be done.

I don't pay attention to what he titles his paintings (usually 11 x 15 or larger) and just call these studies whatever.  This one I think I'll call Misty Morning.


I've got all my homework done for the week so may do a few more of these as the week goes on.  It's sweltering here :(

5 comments:

artmajor71 said...

Leaving the painting is the hardest thing! I tend to overwork each one of mine. I need to discipline myself to this kind of exercise, with the 30 minute time limit. I admire your discipline.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much for stopping by and for taking the time to comment, Artmajor :)

Gretchen Bjornson ART said...

I'm notorius for fiddling with a painting to the point of no return. Your paintings remind me of Barbara Newton's work. She does small thumbnails of landscapes from images she has in her reference library on her computer. They are worth a look. Her blog is titled Barbara Newton Art Journal, you may already have seen it being the experienced blogger you are!

Autumn Leaves said...

Sweltering here too. I still like both of these paintings and the bottom one makes me think of the Louisiana bayous, though I've never been.

RH Carpenter said...

Gretchen, thanks for the recommendation - I'll defintely check out her blog :)

Autumn, it does look a bit like that - just needs some Spanish Moss hanging down from the trees :) 80F this morning at 7 am and then thunder storms, which I'm hoping will drop the temperature a bit. Summertime!!!