Saturday, January 1, 2011

YELLOWSTONE RAVENS - NEXT STEP


I put in the mix of colors for the greyed background.  I waited for that to dry and then began painting a couple of the ravens, using cools and warms.

I pulled out an old, John Pike palette I used to carry back and forth to class every week and use at home - until I got my little travel palette and then that became the palette I used all the time, home and away.  I guess something about the new year made me think about checking that palette and seeing what colors I'd find there.  When I pulled out this one and spritzed the pigments in the wells, the paint was still fresh, the colors labelled on the edges, and not much had changed in my color choices.  I guess we like the colors we like.

I'd like to use a variety of different colors in each raven but still give the overall impression of a black bird.  I'm liking where it's going so far (remember, the grey lines in this are miskit so they will be pure white when I pull that miskit off).

And so this year begins the way the last year ended - painting.  What better way to spend time that seems to be rushing by.  January 2011.  How did that happen?  This month 5 special people are having birthdays:  Teresa, China, Moe, Susan...and me.

8 comments:

Cynthia Schelzig said...

mmmm I like this!....Love how you use assorted colors to make the birds black.
Happy New Year!!!
May your year be a creative one filled with sparkling color!!

jgr said...

Oh this is looking good!! I know what you mean about the palette, too I use my travel one for everything, it's just easier.

Vicki Greene said...

I always enjoy your Raven paintings. It is a good year when we can paint.

hw (hallie) farber said...

I will watch the next steps; I like what you've done. Happy New Year and Happy January Birthday.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Cynnie, it would be so easy to just paint "black" but I want to have a variety of colors in them.

Jane, thanks, I'm happy to go back to my larger palette for a while but the travel palette is fine for going places.

Vicki, thanks. I hope they come together on the paper and behave :)

Hallie, thanks for stopping by and commenting. And thanks for the early birthday wishes - my husband tells me it's my birthday month :)

Carol King said...

Glad to see your ravens are back and am looking forward to seeing this completed.

A very Happy New Year to you and your family.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Carol. I hope to paint some tomorrow...

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Prabha. I'm following the photo and just puting a mix of greys and the white lines and will see how that goes for the background.