Sunday, September 13, 2009

CUMBERLAND COLLAGE PAINTING

I had a used sheet of yupo "paper" that had been painted and even spray sealed. I just took rubbing alcohol and wiped it off and got most of it, leaving a few rough, textured spots I liked. Then I began on the left side with the reflections painting. Taking this into black and white (just unsaturated the color in my photo program) helped me see the lack of darks I still need to put in - plus I'm not getting the reflection the way I want it to be so will work on that...


































I put a "frame" around it with Inktense colored watersoluable pencils. Then started on the next one on the right side, using a bit of the same "frame." It's not done yet, either. But thought I'd share what I've been working on for a few days. I'm liking the abstracted look and textures of the sycamore roots and the darks are good so far.








I am going to paint one more (or maybe two) smaller ones on top of these and tie them in to the textures and colors that are already there (left over from the previous painting).





Here's what I have in mind...






















And I want to thank everyone for casting their votes for their favorite paintings in the 5 I listed. It looks like No. 5 (Am I Blue) is the top winner with No. 1 (A Frisson of Flamingos)close behind! I appreciate you taking the time to look at them and place your vote for your favorite. The CD goes in the mail Monday morning and I'll let you know if I get in.

7 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

Rhonda,
I really like the idea of the frame and of grouping these and your upcoming ones together. I especially like the sycamore roots.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that your entry will be accepted. It is gorgeous.

Deb Léger said...

I love the colour and texture, Rhonda! Rich and juicy! (Amazing that you can clean a painted and sealed yupo!)

Loads of luck on the show!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much Christiane and Deb :) I'll show more as I work on those reflections and get more darks in there and finish the tree roots. Thanks for the good luck wishes on the show - off it goes tomorrow morning :)

Judybec said...

enjoyed looking through your blog! these paintings have wonderful colors and textures -- I was surprised too that you could clean off a sealed yupo painting-- scary thought.
I can see where you get your inspiration by looking through your lovely photos on previous posts!

Cathy Gatland said...

Some great textures and effects happening here Rhonda - love those roots. Best wishes for the juried show - holding thumbs!

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

You do do some most interesting things with your art and I love the ideas you share with us. As for the voting for the Cincinnati show, agree one hundred percent with AM I BLUE but I prefer the solo NOT PINK FLAMINGO to the group of flamingos. A well, each to his own. Good luck with your entries. Keep us posted.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Judybec, Cathy and Joan. I was surprised you can wipe off the paint after sealing it, too, Judyb, but I only spray seal it 1-2 layers, not too much and I did have to rub it quite a bit with the alcohol and paper towel. Then I used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser in places to get the pencil lines up - worked like a charm and you can leave that texture and paint you want to leave :)