Monday, May 11, 2009

Every Green in May: Undersea Green + Zoisite Green

1. Undersea Green (Daniel Smith)
A mix of Ultramarine Blue (PB 29) and Quinacridone Deep Gold (PO 49)

An Excellent Lightfast, Medium Staining, Granulating, Semi-Transparent pigment mix.

I can see keeping this one in my box of tricks when I want to paint some muted, granulating greens of a forest or field.


2. Zoisite Genuine (Daniel Smith)
A pure pigment made from a natural zoisite mineral

An Excellent Lightfast, Low Staining, Granulating, Semi-Transparent single pigment.

Even though this is a single pigment, I've found that the pigments made from minerals are so grainy and granulating I'm not sure what you would do with them - how you would use them. I don't like the dark, almost black color of this one, either. So it's going in the discard pile.

These 2 are the last of my tube greens. Next, I'll make up some mixes and see what I come up with. I think tube greens may be a thing of the past for me and I should mix my own. We'll see!

No comments: