Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Underpainting Pears


I worked a bit more on the Bosc and the Blush pears (don't know what these are called) but due to the harshness and the strength of the underpainting of Burnt Umber + Prussian Blue (YUCK), they weren't going anywhere so...















I decided to choose my own underpainting color to get a better grey. Using Permanent Alizarin Crimson (Holbein) +
Undersea Green (Daniel Smith - it's a mix of Ultramarine Blue PB29 and Quinacridone Deep Gold PO49) +
some Indanthrone Blue (Daniel Smith PB60),
I got a good grey. Then just turned these over and drew again and put down the underpainting with my mix. I wet the area and dropped the color in to keep it softer and lighter and then blended out the edges with a damp brush.













Looks good so far - next I'll add the color when the paper is bone dry.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to cut back eating and now I want a pear. Please don't paint any ice cream drumsticks or I'm doomed.

Ann Buckner said...

The pears look better I think. I like the bottom of that one pear where you emphasized the indent into the pear. Will you be applying color to the leaf of the single pear?

That is a great gray with lovely transitions of values. I'm looking forward to seeing both painted and hearing what colors you used.

Carol Carter said...

your blush pear is lovely! i enjoy the composition.........

how is KY for watercolor? is there a stong community there?

thank you for visiting my site.. and your comments on "stone" painting. it's always a joy to hear from you.

c

Deb Léger said...

Hi Rhonda,

I like those grays you got - very soft! You know the older pears painting is very transparent, which is a look I try so hard to get and always lose. Your older bosc pear looks good too. It'll be nice to compare the newer one with it to see how the different grays look as underpainting. I need to start on my grisailles now.

Deb

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

I like the looks of the grayscale pears, and usually if you get those right a good painting will follow! On the grayscale pear that is a Bosc (I think) that is second from the bottom, when I look at it for values I think the entire base needs to be darker, lightening as it comes up over the curve and softened out over the curve of the fruit. The base should be the darkest value, I think, before you add color.

Pears are such beautiful colors that they are great painting subjects, and they don't care if you make their noses too long or don't get their eyes right! Jane said she paints them just to loosen up and try out new techniques, good idea!

Susan

RH Carpenter said...

LOL! Bill, you would have had a hard time at my watercolor society meeting Wednesday as the guest artist did a demo of cakes on plates! We all wanted cake afterwards - but he didn't bring any!
Ann, I'm not going to work on the earlier ones more as I don't think they work right now - so the new ones are on the backs of the old ones and I'll work on those.
Deb and Susan, thanks for your comments. I'll see about darkening the bottoms :)

RH Carpenter said...

Carol, good to hear from you! Yes, we have a very strong art community in Northern KY/Southern OH with lots of galleries and artist studios and shows. I'll send you a blog of the art shows that Sara Pearce keeps up about current shows.