Tuesday, March 4, 2008

In Class - Another Pot in the Series + a Bonus


I had this one drawn out and painted it in class today. I like the freshness of it (in other words, I didn't overwork any of the colors! yay!!!). Number 4 in the series of pots, I'm calling this Pyramidal Pots (I know, not a good title but what can you do - I could just call them Pots No. 1 - 4, I guess?). Thanks, Sandy, for helping me keep the pyramidal shape as a strong design and not getting carried away with the background blocks.

Then I started on this one - a magnolia.
When I went to the TSP show at Sharon Woods Sunday, I was admiring this photograph by Mark Kahles (the current TSP President). It just looked so elegant. And Mark said he'd give it to me to use as a model to paint it - gulp! I told him if it didn't turn out well, I wouldn't show it but so far so good....












Here is Mark's photo. Isn't it gorgeous?

6 comments:

About said...

Oh Well Done! This turned out great...wonderful depth. I like that the horizontal lines are varied in color and width. Are you pleased?!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Tracy. This is the first one that I really like :) Maybe I'm finally getting it to be less like a lesson and more like a painting I want to paint! YAY!! Only 3 more to go...

Dawn said...

so this is the best yet Rhonda! good job! lovely magnolia too!

Nava said...

NICE!!! I love how you used the scallions (is that how you cal them?) to break the horizontal lines and point at the pots. great color combination, too - it creates a very unique mood.

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

This is my favorite so far in the series! Great composition. I also like your magnolia WIP, it is going to be glowing when finished. Great photo you are working from, too!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Dawn, Nava, and Susan, for your comments. Glad you like this one and I hope I can keep that glow in the magnolia!
Nava, I just call them green onions :)