Sunday, September 9, 2007

Sunday, September 9, 2007 - Sketching

I recently purchased Strokes of Genius: The Best of Drawing, from NorthLight Books. Inside, it has this charcoal drawing by Neilson Carlin (http://www.neilsoncarlin.com/). The first time I saw it, it really touched me, but also made me feel sad - or maybe I already was sad and it just came to the forefront when I saw this. Anyway, it was a piece of art that brought forth a strong emotion in me.

Here is the work - it's 14" x 20" in charcoal. It's called Expulsion. I don't understand the stones in the left side but the figure itself seems to be lonely, defeated, and yes, expelled from something (or perhaps the stones have been expelled from the body). Whether she's been expelled from a group or a relationship, or is expelling something stone-like from inside her, I definitely feel this work.

No comments: