Sunday, September 23, 2007

Sunday, September 23, 2007 - Autumnal Equinox + Cow Butts

It's the first day of autumn, officially - why is it still so hot???


And speaking of hot, here is a painting I have tried about 5 times and never gotten it right - I call it Dairy Airs (pun intended) but they don't look like dairy cattle so maybe that's a bad title. My working title is just Cow Butts which is what the photographer (see the photo below) called it.
This is on tygerag paper, a tyvek plastic paper that I'd never used before. I put watercolor pencil on the back of the photo and then traced the objects, putting down the yellow-orange pencil I thought would lift off - but it didn't. So...guess I'll just use graphite next time. So with the lines there it gives it a very graphic quality and I'm not sure I like it but...well, this is the 6th time I've tried to paint this photo.
The photo caught my eye a few year ago. It's from a WetCanvas member called K9 Artist(real name is Dana Lee Thompson and check out her site for some great animal portraits she's done: http://www.danaleethompson.com/

I've used one of her photos before - the dark clouds over the farmland one - she takes great pics and shares them in the IRL at WetCanvas (copyright free but it's nice to give credit to the photographer).

No comments: