Thursday, November 16, 2006

Thursday, November 16, 2006

One online watercolor group to which I belong has donated their artwork to the Manresa Animal Support Center and Shelter in Manresa, Spain. The calendar is available to purchase from Cafe Press. Thanks so much to our friend and fellow artist, Sigrid Stadelhofer, who collated the paintings and created the calendar. There are many items as well as 2 different types of calendars and proceeds go to the Manresa Shelter :) Check it out at http://www.cafepress.com/manresa. My big tuxedo cat, Smudge, is Mr. July - so he will really be insufferable now!




Donna Elio, an artist friend, and I decided to study some of the watercolor "masters" from the past as a way to learn how the best of the best did it. We began with Childe Hassam, did a lighter one by John Singer Sargent, and then went to Trevor Chamberlain and Georgia O'Keeffe. Here are the paintings I did and the photos of the original paintings used as reference. I had the hardest time with the Hassam - could not get it right no matter how many times I tried. But I was surprised at how much I saw when studying that painting that I didn't see at all when I just "looked" at it.











No comments: