Wednesday, February 28, 2024

MY UMBRELLA (AFTER MARIE BASHKIRTSEFF)

 Somehow I signed up for a newsletter - I am always doing this and then find I don’t spend time to read them so unsub from them later on.  But this one was interesting and I read it.  It’s by the artist, Dan Scott, and he was talking about the painting, The Umbrella, by Marie Bashkirtseff.  Her painting was in oils and it was gorgeous - the skintones against the darks were luscious and pale.  So, in the newsletter, Dan talked about hard and soft edges, darks and lights, and how Marie lived a very short but prolific life.  









And I just had to try myself with watercolor but…

I started with Daniel Smith Lunar Black which is a VERY granulating color…could not get the deep, rich darks I wanted (first painting in watercolor).











So I tried again, using a mix of Lunar Black and Indanthrone Blue to get the “blacks” in it.  


Of course, this looks nothing like the painting by Marie, but I kind of like it.



3 comments:

laura said...

It's so hard to get a deep dark, especially over a large area!
It is a very powerful composition!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Black is always so difficult you have come up with a good combination to get the depth needed. Her eyes really hold the piece.

RH Carpenter said...

Laura, I don’t try “black” in large areas often so this one pushed me to think a bit more. I do love the deep, rich, blue of Indanthrone Blue by Daniel Smith.
Lisa, thanks. I wish I would have been able to keep her young but that happens - and seeing the first painting, I had a fresher look in her skintones…but live and learn.