Monday, February 12, 2024

TAKING ART CLASSES ONLINE

 I discovered the artist, Yesim Gozukara, from a Facebook post someone shared about workshops she did and what the artist learned there.  She didn’t give much information, but suggested we go to Yesim’s site to get more info - which I did.  

I love granulating colors and the look of her work with all its flowing, blending, melding pigments so I asked about workshops and she was having one in the next few weeks so…I signed up for 2 of the classes (she had a set of 4 at the time and I thought I’d take 2 and then the others if I thought I’d learn more or want more later).

The classes are done with especially WET paper, back and front and tilted on a board (the wet paper sticks to the board when it’s that saturated so no problems with moving the paper around while working to get the flow of the pigment.  Also, she used a lot (mostly) granulating colors - which I had to try.  I already had some but not all of the delicious colors she used.

We did mountains and seascapes as the first 2 classes and I learned a lot and also learned to get this look you really need good granulating colors, even adding granulating medium, and patience (something I lack).

Here are mypaintings from the class of the mountain scene.  

The first is the finished mountain, the second is the start of it.  I added more white (not lifting off back to white but adding white pigment - a white “ink” illustrator’s use to cover over places which is more opaque than gouache, and I kept drizzling water and granulating medium over it to get the look.  





2 comments:

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Wow! I wouldn't like to get caught out in that storm. These are so atmospheric.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Lisa. These were fun but getting this look takes more patience than I have - I have never been able to not get caught up in the painting part and slow down more to wait and see what the paint is doing before moving on!