Friday, January 3, 2014


Working from the background forward.

These birds were "sharing" the suet feeder, but it was obvious who was the boss, saying,
"It says Woodpecker suet!"

And he was right - it was woodpecker suet I had put out that morning.  But the Grackle seemed to like it, too, sneaking around the corner from the Red-bellied Woodpecker, and hoping he wouldn't be seen stealing from "Big Red".

The first painting of The Birds of 2014. 

It Says Woodpecker Suet!
Arches 140# cold press watercolor paper
11" x 15"

My intention for these bird portraits is to paint one on watercolor paper I've sketched the subject(s) on; and again with no drawing, just painting the same bird(s) on smaller paper.  


laura said...

I like that idea, Rhonda ... I was thinking something similar last night: that it'd be good practice to try painting birds without the drawing!
Love the expression on your woodpecker; it definitely says Back off!

Debbie Nolan said...

Rhonda - what I so enjoy about this painting is that it tells a great story. Birds are such a delight to watch. I know the woodpeckers do love that suet...reminds me to get some for my feeders as well. Take care and have a lovely week-end. Stay warm.

Introverted Art said...

I always love to see other artist's process.

Cathy Gatland said...

I'm late to wish you a Happy New Year Rhonda - glad that you'll be painting more birds, they are such characters (as I think, are you!)

CrimsonLeaves said...

What a cool composition, Rhonda! I love this!!

RH Carpenter said...

You're doing a great job on your bird paintings, Laura :) Makes me want to loosen up on these and I hope I can if I continue throughout the month.

Debbie, thanks - birds are so much fun to watch.

Cathy, thanks so much!!

Sherry, I can't take much credit for the composition - I'm using a photo Sweetie took out the kitchen window. I have a lot of reference photos for many birds around the feeders.

Thanks, Introverted Art, for stopping by and for taking the time to comment.