Tuesday, January 21, 2014

CATTY BIRDS



I don't know what these birds are - water birds, perhaps sandpipers of some kind.



Again, working from the background forward, saving the best for last - the birds :)

I'm calling them
Three Piping Plovers
On 1/4 sheet (11" x 15") Fabriano 140# cold press watercolor paper.


The two to the right look like they are trying to walk by the other one without being seen :)  They are saying, "Well, she's put on the holiday weight, hasn't she??"  Sandpipers can be sooo catty!


7 comments:

suzanneberry said...

love the post and the painting. some friends can be so catty can't they? wonderful painting!

Autumn Leaves said...

Oh are they wonderful!

Jan Yates, SCA, Canada said...

likelikelike!!!!!!!

RH Carpenter said...

Yes, girlfriends can be a bit catty at times, Suz :) Thanks so much for stopping by and for your comments.

Sherry, thanks so much - I'm glad you are still enjoying these avian experiments!

Jan, thanks so much!

Katherine Harra said...

Catty birds. Chuckle!

laura said...

Cold here too, with a little snow, but it's that very beautiful, sugary-looking snow.
Not 100% sure, but plovers have shorter beaks; these might be sandpipers or yellowlegs?
As a beginner birder, I'm finding shorebirds some of the hardest to identify!

RH Carpenter said...

Glad you got a laugh out of it, Katherine :) I've always heard of someone "sitting in the catbird seat" and although I'm unsure exactly what that means - except it's a good thing - it made me think of catbirds, hence catty birds! ha ha

Laura, thanks. I haven't a clue about water birds since I only see them when we are in Florida and then they all seem to look alike to me. Need to study up a bit more, I think!