Saturday, July 28, 2012

ART HOPS



Yesterday, in between more cleaning for the Birthday Gathering today, I met up with Deb and Sharon at the Carnegie Arts Center in Covington, KY to view their 2012 Colored Pencil Society of America International Exhibition.  If you are in the area, do make the time to visit this show.  It is amazing!!

Two floors of wonderful colored pencil art kept us looking for some time; some works were very photo-realistic and some more loose (if you can call colored pencil loose, but you know what I mean).  Artful and interesting and many clever pieces (I always enjoy the ones that make me smile due to the subject matter and the title).






Here are just a few of my favorites - the 2 on the postcard were also favorites and looked great in person.


This bathing beauty was on the second floor and well worth the walk up (they have an elevator if you have trouble with stairs). 



And this one made us all laugh.  I had to get a photo of it!  Look closely and read the title :)



And I had to find at least one blackbird in the bunch!



The show drew artists from every state in the U.S. plus Japan, Australia, and Canada being represented.  It runs through August 30 with a Meet the Artists Reception on August 4 from 4-6.  Parking is very limited around the Carnegie but they have valet parking during an artist reception/opening.


After the show, Deb, Sharon and I had a lovely lunch at the York Street Cafe in Newport, KY.  Yummy!!!


Later that evening, Sweetie and I went to see Art After Hours at the Fort Thomas Branch of the Campbell County Library.  Catered food and drink; live music; and great artwork from 17 artists.  It was a nice event and we talked to quite a few artists we knew.  I'm glad the turnout was good because it was right after a horrid storm (in fact, there were fire trucks and police cars blocking the road farther up past the library because the wind had taken down an electric wire that was now over the street!).  The event is a one-night only thing and the library is reimagined as a large gallery space - which worked really well.  Perhaps Sweetie and I will be one of the guest artists next year (apparently, it's by invitation only).

So an artful day all around which didn't make the housecleaning seem so tedious!


Hope you have a good weekend. 
Today is the Big Birthday Gathering today. 
The pool is open and the grands will probably get in, in spite of the cooler temperatures since the storm last night (only 70F this morning = YAY!!!).

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I was going to tell you about that exhibition! You beat me to it! I havent been yet, but I'm going to be at the convention this week, at Embassy Suites. I'm really excited about it!

debwardart said...

Had a great time yesterday - and I knew you would have a good blog post about the Carnegie - and, of course, you did! Have a great Birthday Bash today!

jgr said...

Wonderful exhibition and I love the new pears! Also: Nice work on step two of your portrait.

renate said...

Hello Rhonda:) Poor frogs! Just kiss every frog until a Prince appears haha. Great! And what beautiful drawn. Very handsome though. I think it is wonderful to see a large number of them together. I'm going to look at them on the internet:)

Autumn Leaves said...

We are just so desperate for rain here. We've had a few drops this past week but more bluster than moisture. Our yard is burned and will not recover until next spring. Way too hot this summer, it is even killing my beautiful little and expensive hydrangea bushes. Sigh...

Loved this post and found myself wondering if Katherine Thompson had any works in this art show. The ones you've shared are exquisite!

RH Carpenter said...

You'll really enjoy it, Katherine :) I wish I could meet you there but each day this week is filled with stuff :( Are you a member of the CPSA?

Yep, a good time was had by all, Deb :) And I see you found your way back home across the river okay!

Thanks, Jane :)

Renate, I tell my Sweetie "You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince"!!

Sherry, we are desperate, too, but I don't think we'll get much relief this summer.

Studio at the Farm said...

LOVE the frog, Rhonda! Thank you so much for sharing some of the exhibition with us. ;)

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

Thanks for sharing the info and selected photos from the exhibition. They were great.

RH Carpenter said...

Kathryn, I think that one was my favorite as far as overall pleasure at seeing that painting :)

Carol, glad you enjoyed the little peek. It's really a large - over 100 paintings - show!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing those beautiful painting from this exhibition and your nice comments!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to comment, Michele :) I'm glad you enjoyed the photos of the show.