Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A PERFECT POEM FOR THE WINTER SOLSTICE

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

by Robert Frost


Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.


My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.


He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.


The woods are lovely, dark, and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

(And photos I took this morning from my windows/doors)...




































7 comments:

Ginny Stiles said...

Rhonda is there a chance I could have permission to use the last photograph on this blog as a resource for a watercolor? With reference to you as the photographer of course. Beautiful. I am SO glad I am not there...hahahaha. but I do love to see the snow and remember it's beauty. We had a lovely home in s.e. WI and the views were similar to this.
Merry Christmas to you.

L Young said...

I hope the snow stays in your neck of the woods; I'm ready to paint it...not ready to shovel it.

Beautiful snowy photos to accompany Robert Frost's poetry. Thanks for sharing it.

RHCarpenter said...

Ginny, today is foggy and snowy - I like the foggy misty look with the snow but sunshine would be good, too. Yes, you can use the photo as a reference - it's just a quick snap out my window!

Linda, I'll try to keep the snow here - my husband shovels for me and I get to stay in and warm most of the time. I turn into a bear and hibernate during the snowy cold days. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem and photos.

Rachel Rolseth said...

I love the poem! Thanks for sharing it. I love the new profile picture too. Keep up the good work!

RHCarpenter said...

Thanks, Rachel!

Prabha N. said...

Beautiful poem and photos! Cant believe it is right outside your window. Would make lovely snowscapes :)
Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

RH (Rhonda) Carpenter said...

Thanks, Prabha - Have a wonderful holiday season! If no snow, then just dreams of snow :)