I worked a bit more on the Bosc and the Blush pears (don't know what these are called) but due to the harshness and the strength of the underpainting of Burnt Umber + Prussian Blue (YUCK), they weren't going anywhere so...
I decided to choose my own underpainting color to get a better grey. Using Permanent Alizarin Crimson (Holbein) +
Undersea Green (Daniel Smith - it's a mix of Ultramarine Blue PB29 and Quinacridone Deep Gold PO49) +
some Indanthrone Blue (Daniel Smith PB60),
I got a good grey. Then just turned these over and drew again and put down the underpainting with my mix. I wet the area and dropped the color in to keep it softer and lighter and then blended out the edges with a damp brush.
Looks good so far - next I'll add the color when the paper is bone dry.