Tuesday, June 21, 2022

SOME STARTS

 

Got a few new art supplies.  Couldn’t get the Hahnemuhle Harmony in a block this time - it’s a pad that you tear out (and is loose on all sides but one).  Guess it will be the same but I do like painting on a block.  



Started a few things - not really in the mood to finish or start anything - perhaps it’s the heat coming back.  Last week it was over 100 degrees (heat index) several days and going back up this week (not that high but close).  It doesn’t matter if I stay inside in air conditioning, I still feel the effects of the heat - I get lethargic and I’ve felt on the edge of passing out for several days - blood pressure is okay and don’t feel ill in any other way but have to be careful moving around (even driving).  Who knows what’s causing it?

This little mockingbird fledgling was begun on a block of Hahnemuhle 140# cold press (Harmony style).  But have just left it for days.  


And picked up another block of something (Arches?) and playing with putting down color on a piece of paper I had spritzed with water to get drops on the paper all over.  Not sure where this will go.


Does the weather affect your work - or do you go into the studio every day no matter what? Or do you paint outside?  


6 comments:

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

I find it hard to paint in the heat too. It gets frustrating when the paint dries too quick and the hotter it gets the slower my rain. I keep other jobs aside for days like that..photo editing, sorting and tidying. Sometimes just looking through collections for inspiration. The downtime can be useful in its own way. I hope things cool down and you feel better soon. Best wishes.

Debbie Nolan said...

Hi Rhonda, yes the heat does make me less energetic. Especially when it is in the 90's. Have a daffodils painting sitting on my easel. It has been there for over a year. Am hoping to finish it this week once it cools down. Hope you get feeling better soon. Sometimes blood sugar low or high can cause one to feel light headed. Not a doctor-but I know that I can have that feeling and need to eat something. Hugs!

RH Carpenter said...

Yes, the heat slows us down, I guess. Of course, my perfect temps would be betwee 45 at night and 80 during the day!! ha ha. I think most places where you get that weather, you also get tons of rain!
You could be right, Debbie, about blood sugar. I have been eating too many sweet things and not enough real food - another side effect of heat!!

laura said...

Heat has the same effect on me. Add humidity to it, and I'm done! Hope it cools off soon!

Dolores said...

Love your work. I dislike heat and humidity and basically do as little as possible until the temperature gets better.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Laura and Dolores (and congratulations on your lucky 13th grandchild!). The heat is going to be this way for another week or so - hope we don’t have all summer like this.