Saturday, November 14, 2020

SERIES OF PAINTINGS AND VALUE STUDIES AND...

 Many years ago I heard of Mike Bailey and followed his blog.  He went into working in a series and that became his thing.  Now, not just 3-5 or 7-9 paintings, he challenged a student of his to do dozens of paintings using the same still-life set up and see where it took them.  She stopped at the required number (I think it was 25 paintings) but he kept going...and going...and going.  Now, he talks about that series and shares the paintings that came out of that experience.  I’m afraid I don’t have that determination, but, in the Angela Fehr online class (Watercolor Mastery), she talked about working in a series and what you can learn from it.  So...I got out a photo I liked and did a few...just a few.




A strong value study (Notan) followed by a value study with minimum color.












Then going in with lots of colors, then more muted colors (my favorite one).



I even abstracted a couple versions and might show them later.  


I think I did 7 in all and then had to move on to something else.  Maybe if I had started from a still-life, I would have had more enthusiasm for a long series...nah, probably not! ha ha









5 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Rhonda these are beautiful. I like the idea of working in a series. Watch Angela Fehr paint on you tube. Her enthusiasm for watercolor is so inspiring. Hope you have a great weekend. Hugs!

laura said...

What a fantastic challenge! Your results are wonderful too, and the muted color one is terrific: the swan is beautiful and I really love how you handled its surroundings!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Debbie. Angela is inspiring in her talks and well worth watching on YouTube videos she has out there.
Thanks so much, Laura. I liked some of them, too, but am not a series type of painting - yet. Who knows what the future brings.

laura said...

I have been really enjoying Jo MacKenzie's paintings of glass! She doesnt paint the same setup over and over, but the same subject.

Jennifer Rose said...

i really like those, very pretty and great shading 😀