Sunday, August 9, 2020

BIRD SKETCHING - JOHN MUIR LAWS INSTRUCTION



Back in May, I participated in an online course (free) through California Audubon, taught by John Muir Laws.  It was an interested 3 session (spread over 3 weeks) course teaching about sketching birds.  Learned quite a bit I hope I can remember when I get out in the field (or sunroom, in my case) to watch and document the birds coming to the feeders.  


So here are a few I did while watching the lessons (I missed the first one so had to catch up later on John’s blog/site).  

I did the sketching in blue col-erase pencil so it was light enough to go over again with darker graphite later.  John uses a pale blue pencil that draftspersons use which is really more invisible after going over with graphite or other colors.  




You may be able to read the comments and instructions in the blue.  I ordered the pale blue pencil John uses because, well, why not, it might inspire me to draw more if I know that first sketch can be as rough as anything and then I can adjust it with graphite as I go over it.  Being able to cover up mistakes or errors in shapes and sizes is a good thing, right?


I have returned to the old Blogger interface but know it will be taken away after the end of August so we’ll see what I do after that.  

1 comment:

Studio at the Farm said...

Love your sketches, Rhonda! I enjoyed my short course with John Laws, too - he is an excellent instructor.
Stay well and safe, my friend!!!

Kathryn