Friday, January 3, 2020

2020 = COLOR STUDIES


Last year, I purchased a new watercolor sketchbook.  The paper inside is Indigo artpapers, cold press watercolor, 300 gsm (which is 140#).  It has 4 natural deckle edges, has slip-papers in between each sheet (24 sheets) of the watercolor paper.  It's a bit soft and absorbent (more so than other papers I've used).  So I decided to use it to do some color studies this year.  These are not going to set the world on fire - but it's what I'm doing.



I paint a study on the watercolor paper and then write on the slip paper behind it to talk about the color or my thoughts on the color.

If I remember, I'll date the writing/thoughts.  But I intend to do this throughout 2020, just as an exercise for myself, and to get back to color after working in black and white for a while.  


Here, the first study is Perinone Orange (transparent) and Bismuth Yellow (opaque).






  




















4 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

colour studies are a great thing to do, and us artist should really do them more :)

RH Carpenter said...

For me, Jennifer, it gets me out of slumps in painting and back to color slowly :). But it’s fun and easy and, hopefully, I learn a bit in the process.

laura said...

A wonderful project.
Is there a method to how you choose the colors, or are you letting your fancy decide?

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Laura. No method! I just read about orange somewhere - then thought I’d start with orange and see if painting with it made me happier. Of course, you can’t just paint with orange so began adding more color that might look good against orange. Some thinking involved and some just flying by the seat of the pants!