Wednesday, May 29, 2019

PLAYING WITH GRANULATING COLORS



Daniel Smith has a lot of pigments that granulate, separate, and create interesting textures and patterns.  I love them all.  So got out a few and have started on a painting of the sea-grape trunks and leaves taken when we were in Florida over the winter.


Do you have any granulating colors?  I'm using Lunar Earth, Goethite Brown Ochre, and other good ones for this to get lots of texture in those trunks.  Waiting while the pigment dries and adding a bit more water creates even more movement and texture.  


This is on a half sheet Fabriano Artistico 140# coldpress paper.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’ve never tried that brand but hear so many good things about it!

Barbra Joan said...

Love granulating colors, and yes we have lots of sea grapes here in beautiful Florida, but oh so hot right now. You were here at a good time.

Jennifer Rose said...

good start :)

not sure if I have any granulating colours, might do in the watercolour drawer, will have to check :)

Barbra Joan said...

Rhonda , my previous comment to you was blocked. Sorry.

laura said...

Great start, Rhonda. Love the shapes/pattern ... and the colors!
I'm sure I have tubes of those and should get them out and play with them; especially because I rarely reach for the "earth' colors!
Very ambitious subject (imho)--can't wait to see what you do with it!