Sunday, August 27, 2017

PATIENCE PAYS OFF - ONE



To work in stages this way, you have to have patience.  I am not full of patience in any aspect of my life.  So...this could be a struggle to make myself stop and walk away, letting the paint dry completely before going back to add things, including glazing over colors to increase or change them.  


Working as Shirley Trevena does - I think - in stages.  No wonder it takes her 2 weeks for a painting from start to finish.) 


This is just the top half of the paper with the tulips and one lily (there will be more lilies as I work along with Shirley from her book, Taking Risks with Watercolor (her first book).


At some point, she taped the left hand side of the flowers with masking tape but I missed that part so...will just play it as it lays and try to fit those pale lilies in on the left side without having a hard line there.  


I have a commission I'm working on so I can work on that while this dries and I move on to the next stage.  (No drawing done, just put the flowers and foliage in at the top of the painting.)


8 comments:

debwardart said...

Patience ALWAYS pays off!!! I always admire your tenacity - and this one is coming along nicely.

Jennifer Rose said...

its looking good :)

I was going to suggest having maybe a couple piece to work on at the same time, might help. works sometimes for me, other times I just get to impatient and it doesn't help :p

RH Carpenter said...

LOL! You would say that, Deb, because all your work takes so much patience! ha ha. Really enjoyed seeing your colorful bears at the show!

Thanks, Jennifer Rose. Yes, maybe doing 2 things at once will keep me out of trouble? ha ha

Chris Lally said...

Beautiful, Rhonda!! I can see Shirley's influence.
Hope you enjoy your commission work!

Victoria said...

So beautiful and poetic..love the rich majestic colors..wonderful!
victoria

E.M. Corsa said...

Lovely. Show us the commission piece!

Sadami said...

Congrats, Rhonda! Beautiful!! When you get famous, please do not forget this nameless and poor artist. Cheers, Sadami

Debbie Nolan said...

Rhonda - this is off to a lovely start...I so identify with the patience part. Not good at letting something sit...too often the passion for the piece isn't there when I return. Got any pointers on how to keep the momentum going once you walk away?? Perhaps having several projects on the table helps...been considering this plan. Thanks for sharing. Have a lovely day. Hugs!