Thursday, January 29, 2015

TUESDAY CLASS




Since I had received three bouquets, I separated them into more manageable sets for my two students to paint.  I was surprised there was NO whining about painting from a still life set up in front of them.  (I've been in classes and workshops where there was a lot of whining about painting a still life set up of flowers.)  


This is the set up Joy tried.  I sent her a photo to use at home and finish (or not). 






This is the set up Linda tried.  She also got a photo of her own to try to finish or work on at home.  


I have to give kudos to both students for being good sports, for understanding that this was a lesson in painting what you see (rather than what you think you see).  












And I couldn't make them work so hard without doing it myself, so I had a set up of my own to try and paint of the white flowers.  I removed the daisies from this, moved the flowers around, and painted this while it sat in front of me on the table.  The trick was to get all those white flowers!!







It's not finished (need the vase to be much darker blue and to have a shadow to ground it on the table), but I'm not unhappy about the white flowers at all.



Our goal was to see it and paint it correctly without getting overly fussy.  

  


9 comments:

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

I love how you painted the white flowers! Really nice. Lucky you having so many bouquets in your home.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Carol. I didn't get the shape of the vase right - but it wasn't about correctness as much as loosening up a little (which I could have done more - someday I will get there!!).

E.M. Corsa said...

That's a lovely beginning. I admire anyone who can do justice to flowers.

laura said...

Great greens, and the feeling of white flowers ... Painting real live flowers is such a pleasure. There were some tulips at the market today, but I had to pass them by as I probably won't have time to paint them for the next couple of days ... Next week!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks E.M and Laura. Needs a bit more but I'll fiddle with it a little bit and see if I like it more. Not unhappy with the way the flowers and greenery turned out so may just leave that.

debwardart said...

Great job - darken that vase and you are done!!!

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Rhonda - your white flowers are lovely and that blue vase is just perfect. Glad you didn't have any whiners in your class. Beautiful bouquets.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Debbie and Deb :) Yep, need a darker vase in this one but won't touch the flowers - they are what they are even if not as loose as I intended.

MILLY said...

Reading through your posts I wish you belated birthday wishes and also hope you are feeling much better and recovering well. Your flowers are beautiful and wonderful they have another purpose as the class painting subject.
Your painting looks lovely,
I was very touched by your comment, to hear your thoughts makes the blog seem so worthwhile. I believe it is good to share, have shared all my life. Just as you do too. Thank you it was lovely to read your words.