Friday, January 23, 2015

BACK TO THE BIRDS



Revised this little Carolina Wren in my sketchbook.  He (or she) has been showing up at the suet feeder, round little golden brown thing, hopping around, with a tail like an arrow pointing to the sky - so cute!

I may have to paint her.  









And back to The Laws Guide to Drawing Birds, I copied one of the wing illustrations in the book.  In this section of the book, he's talking about how the wing feathers attach to the underlying bones.  Not something I'll remember, but it does help to see what feathers are on the wing and where when you're drawing.  

Have a good weekend!




6 comments:

laura said...

Hello, Rhonda.
What a good idea to draw the wing--I can never remember the names of the feathers or figure out, when trying to paint a bird's markings, exactly how they go together ...
Your wren is darling (a wren's chief characteristic!).

E.M. Corsa said...

Lovely sketch. Yes, the wing feathers are confusing because what shows depends on the wing position. It's a lot to learn.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Laura and E.M. - yes, there is much to learn. I could study birds all my life and still not know everything, but I'm trying to learn the structure right now. A friend of mine got to go to the local university's collection of birds for biology study - she drew some and I said I should do that, too - I might plan that next month. Right now, I'm using good photos but holding one in my hand would be a very different aspect of learning the parts. EM, the book does show the wings folded and open and how it changes - it's a very good book for learning.

E.M. Corsa said...

I have that book and I think I need to get back to it - AGAIN! Much to learn.

Alice Jo Webb said...

What a darling bird; makes me think of "Aint" Bea from the Andy Griffith Show!

RH Carpenter said...

Alice Jo, you're right - she does remind of Aint Bea :) ha ha