Thursday, January 19, 2012

NEW YEAR PAINTINGS NOT SO GREAT

I found my Shirley Trevena book and thumbed through it, reading it again and looking at her paintings.  She has some pretty set-ups inside and I thought I'd try one.



Here is the photo inside the book.


















Here is my painting started of some of the things in the set-up.

As she says, you just put objects in your paintings however you want - you coordinate them by colors you like, shapes you like, etc; and don't just think of still lifes as flowers in a vase :)  Her photo shows that off well - objects put together for a future painting for herself with notes and even value studies or small thumbnail sketches.  I took the main subjects of the round bowl and the tulips and her little wooden container and then created the other things from the rest of the things she had in the photo.

Since this is a copy of her set-up, I wouldn't do anything with this painting but use it for a study - no selling it, no putting it in a show (of course, it isn't turning out well enough for that, anyway).  Know when you are doing a study that a study is all it is, a way to work out something for yourself and learn - not an opportunity for a finished and saleable painting. 




Here is the next stage.

I don't like those boxes floating like that so need to make them seem like they are holes in the fabric - somehow they will need to be pushed back and made heavier.

And I intend to put a very dark blue-black or purple where the white is now, cutting around the shapes.  We'll see how it goes.

For me, wanting to paint looser, this doesn't cut it; but I'll try again something looser, trying to incorporate both looser and tighter within one painting, knowing when to use either technique and style.  That's my goal, anyway. 

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the concept and your work on it. It's a slippery slope thinking of creating a piece of work to sell or not sell. I have mainly sold commission pet portraits and sometimes I find that difficult, to still just do my creative exploration while making someone else happy. My other work is just what I feel I need to do for me. Where it goes in the future, I don't want to think about it and stifle myself. Keep exploring ;)

RH Carpenter said...

Tina, I don't ever think of something as what I'll sell (I would have starved to death a long time ago if I had to live by my artwork). I was just explaining to those who don't know that, if you're using someone else's set-up or copying their stuff, you cannot ever sell it or put it in a show. With all the talk about internet copyright issues going on, I thought I'd let others know. I know most artists know this about copying or using other's work in their own work, etc.; but you'd be surprised at how many beginners don't know it's not okay to copy for anything other than learning and experimenting. I think you're right about stifling yourself when you think, "This is for ___ show" or "This will go in the gallery for sale." I could never put even the pressure of commissions on myself (although I have done one! ha ha)

Dee Doyle said...

Hi Rhonda,

It's been a while, too busy to blog surf, etc., but I am back, relatively speaking. Your comments re copying are spot on, and I guess whether you are a beginner or experienced artist, it's appropriate to use common sense when using others' work.

I so enjoy Shirley Trevena's work, and have tried a few exercises in her first book, and got duly frustrated, because her style and technique is so unique, but as you say, it's great practice!

Your sample of the Trevena style is so well done. You are an inspiraton!

Dee Doyle said...

Oh, it's me again. I agree that I find it challenging to paint for a special show,but I do enjoy participating in club or artist community challenges. Those projects tend to be great learning experiences for me, to paint with intention in a group of peers.

Unknown said...

Sorry, my mind was rambling this morning and took a turn. I appreciate your respect for other artist works and the copyright issue! I think when I started blogging in September, I read a blog or two about finding other bloggers who were copying work of other artists and selling it as their work. It's hard to believe that actually happens. I'm a bit naive I suppose.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Dee. Shirley definitely has her own style and bold colors - I'll have to add some bold color where the white is now :) Good to have you back!! Is your blog back or are you going to leave that?

Tina, no worries at all; I have known artists who have had their work just copied and claimed - amazing that people will do it and will get away with it (and have their friends support it!). The world is a strange place at times but most of the people I know are honest and careful and admit when they make a mistake in either direction. Have a good weekend coming up; hope your weather is kinder to you than it was the other day according to the national news.

laura said...

I like the way Trevena does still lifes too, and tried to set one up like one of hers--not easy!
I love your washes and the tulip leaves are superb!

Autumn Leaves said...

Right off the top, you've beautifully handled those tulips, Rhonda!

Cathy Gatland said...

Good on you Rhonda for working through these exercises, I know the few times I've done that from art books I've learnt such a lot, but too often I just flip through and never get round to trying.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Laura, Sherry and Cathy, for your comments on this one. I still haven't gotten back to it.

Unknown said...

Rhonda, I really like the way this one is going; please continue it when you are feeling better. It looks marketable to me so far.

I hope those migraines find another home and leave you alone. Be well and take care.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Linda. This is just for my own study and I'll try to get back to it in a few days.

Jane said...

This is looking very good, I love the colors you are using and the set up. I think it will be wonderful when finished.

RH Carpenter said...

Thank you, Jane :) It is finished and I'll share soon.

irinapictures said...

I found out that Trevena inspires me much more then Dobie with her "plan and think" idea. Just going through pages of her book make by wings grow.
I so agree with your explanation to Tina's comment.
I hope very much taht your health, pressure and migraine are back to normal by now.
And look forward to finished work.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Irina. I love Dobie's colors, especially the greens - so many really fine artists in this world!