Thursday, January 12, 2012

BANANAPEPPER STILL LIFE - 1 + 2

This is from a photo I took at a workshop - I never painted it.  I've gotten burned out (or reached my saturation point) doing the exercises from the Ewa Karpinska book.  I think, perhaps, towards the end I've gotten frightened that my last few attempts haven't turned out and now she's getting into things that seem even harder for me to comprehend.  Maybe it's just my mind right now.



Anyway, I wanted to do this wet-in-wet and use my own photo or set-up so here it begins, with a nice wet and juicy wash in the back, dropping in colors that wil be in the bananas and the pepper.

Not bad - but not really wet-in-wet except for the background.

















I watched all of the Shirley Trevena DVD Breaking the Rules in Watercolour.  I really enjoyed how she does her still lifes, not setting them up but picking up items she likes and using them from any angle that suits her.  She doesn't bother with perspective but says, I'll put that one in at an angle and that one straight on and I like the dots of this so will show that.  It takes a lot of pressure off and it makes an interesting composition because she's composing the thing as she goes, choosing colors and shapes to lead the eye around the painting.  I think I'll try that, gathering up some thing that I like and making something of that.  She's a real expert and I love her abstracted still lifes and her love of bold color.  So more of that study to come...

7 comments:

Jane said...

I think this is very good Rhonda, and I think it is nice to combine different methods.

jgr said...

Rhonda, this is wonderful! I love Shirley's work too, can't wait to see what you do next.

Ann Buckner said...

Rhonda, this is looking really good. That pepper rocks!

Christiane Kingsley said...

I love the shine and highlights on the pepper! really nice!

JANE MINTER said...

love the way you've painted the bananas rhonda ... most of the exercises you've been doing from the book combine wet in wet and wet in dry ...good to work from your own ref .

Anonymous said...

Wonderful success with this one, Rhonda. Beautiful background wash and soft & sharp on the bananas and pepper.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, everyone, but now I'm afraid you won't like what I did to finish it! ha ha