Friday, August 27, 2010

TWISTED - WIP

Returning to another fluid acrylic painting that was started and fizzled out without going anywhere.  This poor thing hung on my basement/garage wall for a long time - well, a long time for me!



After looking at it each time I walked by it, without much inspiration, I finally took it off the wall and into my little art room (just enough room on my table for it since it is a full sheet watercolor paper - hotpress), and fiddled around, hoping to feed off the inspiration from the heart lock/locked heart painting.












Although I had no real direction, I knew I wanted to add some blues and greens to the shape (is it a shell? don't know, although it's shell-like).










I played up the color on the main shape, then ran masking fluid over the background (brushstrokes of miskit, and splatters).  Then I  really played with the color in the background. 

The masking fluid is still on and it's drying.  We'll see what happens when I remove the dried masking fluid!  I'm thinking the words are a mistake...maybe need to be covered over partially...we'll see. 

This one was a bit of fun and pure experimentation. 


I saw the movie, Local Color, today.  From 2006, it's about a young artist searching for a mentor and finding it - in a cranky, alcoholic, opinionated, mean, disappointed, old  Russian painter.  Supposedly a semi-autobiography of the writer/director who is also an artist, George Gallo.  It's worth watching.  An artist would enjoy it for the "pearls of wisdom" the old painter bestows on the young man - while making him paint his porch, wallpaper his bedroom, etc...  Of course, eventually the young man wears him down and they become friends and the old Russian does teach him directly.   The scene where the Russian shows the art gallery/critic work of a new "modern" artist is fantastic - we've all thought it! 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472126/

6 comments:

AK said...

I can make out that you enjoyed doing this one. Its therapeutic to just play with colors once in a while. Keep going!

Lisa Walsh said...

Isn't it fun to just splash paint once in a while? Can't wait to see what it looks like when the miskit comes off. Thanks for the movie review, it sounds interesting...I'm going to have to find it.

RH Carpenter said...

It's funny to me that no one likes this one - and I do, but maybe it's because it was fun working on it again. I know it's very odd---just the kind of thing to get into a gallery here! ha ha
Anyway, perhaps it's always better to have a plan, an idea, and work on that rather than just let the paint take you? Who knows - there are artists who stand on both sides of that fence.

debwardart said...

This was a real turn around - I can tell you love those FA as much as I do!!!

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

Music. Jazz specifically comes to mind. It's alive with sound at this stage!

RH Carpenter said...

Deb, I really enjoy them - getting them to behave the way I want is another thing!

Pam, yeah, I can see jazz but a few missed chords in there! ha ha