Monday, July 5, 2010

THE WAY I FELT + MORE ON THE DECK CHAIRS

I was in a bad mood yesterday morning: irritable, antsy, out of sorts, whatever. So painted it, using a sketch I'd done a while back. (I've been going through my small sketch book and pulling things out to paint big.)





I threw that paint and sprayed and just went nuts (after drawing it with a Derwent Sketch-n-Wash pencil that bleeds the color out). The bottom of the sheet (full sheet 22 x 30) bowed as it dried but that can be flattened out.

I also took more time on the deck chairs painting. Need to flatten the water behind the main wave so it looks right and I'm wondering if the water spray looks right or if it reads as vertical when it should be more horizontal.



5 comments:

jgr said...

I really love the top painting! The colors are gorgeous. Also, your deck chairs are looking great.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Love the colours. Little worried the water looks higher than the decking or verandah but certain you will get it right in the end. Sorry you had such a poor mood day - they do arrive from nowhere sometimes don't they? Loved the finished blackbird work posted earlier.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Jane :) I'm not sure where it's going but I'll fiddle with it more using the sketch and try to bring out the twisted paper (which is what that is).
Joan, I had the same feeling when I looked at this - that maybe I didn't get the horizontal look to the shapes...will have to work on that, I think, and work from the back forward and see if it helps to flatten that background a bit. You're right about the mood - little things one on top of the other and before you know it, you're in a foul mood and it's just a few little things. I think sometimes my serotonin levels are just low!! I'm pleased that you like the finished Four and Twenty painting.

Suzanne McDermott said...

I really like your approach to working through a bad mood! Also love the deck chairs. Great composition!

RH Carpenter said...

Throwing paint while in a bad mood does help, Suzanne! ha ha Not sure where I'll go with this one, though...I'm not in the same bad mood now so it may turn out differently!