Thursday, June 5, 2008

Paintings from Philippines and Australia SWAPpers!

Yesterday, I went to the meeting of the Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society and watched Mike McGuire paint using gouache. It was a good program and I learned some things about gouache I didn't know.

Did you know you can wash it off under the sink and remove 95% of it if you hate it while you're working?

Did you know you don't have to use a fixative on it when you're done - just mat and frame it under glass like watercolor.

Did you know you can continue to layer colors over colors, putting on darks or lights at any time?


I didn't know all that. Now I do! And you do, too!


When I got home in the middle of another thunderstorm and pouring rain (which had been going on since the evening before), I watched the mailman deliver a package to me. And this time it's from the Philippines!! We have 3 SWAP members from the Philippines and I love their work - they seem to work in bright, bold colors all the time, and maybe that's from living in the heat with the bright sun making bold colors everywhere, I don't know.

Here are the latest 5th anniversary paintings I got:


1 = from Linda P.
2 = from Suzette (Linda's daughter)








3 = from Robert (who has painted a traditional Philippino ship)







Now how cool is it to get 3 paintings + a card from the Philippines in the mail on a dull, rainy, stormy day?






And that's not all!

I also got a lovely painted card and some little paintings (ACEO trading card sized) inside the card from Joy in Australia!!!






































Thank you, thank you, thank you, Linda, Suzette, Robert and Joy, for your beautiful artwork and for your generosity!

2 comments:

Michelle Himes said...

Happy Anniversary to the SWAP group. I hadn't realized that it was an anniversary when I opted out this time. I just can't seem to keep up with anything lately, and I knew that I would not be putting my best effort into it if I participated. But to miss the anniversary SWAP.... :-(

RH Carpenter said...

Sometimes you just don't have the time or energy, Michelle. I certainly understand.