Saturday, May 10, 2008

More on Hollyhocks + Open Figure Session Today

Now painting with a brush but trying to just "drop in" the color without much brushwork disturbing the freshness of the color. Slowly darkening by doing this. Now I need to think about what is in front, what is behind, what should be darker...


I'm still using only these 3 colors: Hansa Yellow Medium, Rhodonite Genuine, and Cobalt Blue.









And did the following in open figure drawing today from 9 am - 11 am. We had a good model and I was tempted to put in some color (but didn't take any) because she streaks her hair with a bright blue color and has some interesting tattoos.

The first one is with graphite and then the sketch 'n wash graphite pencil in the background and touched here and there and wetted so it got very dark and rich.









This is a good example of how you should look at the composition (even if it's just a figure) and where things "kiss" and where things merge. Do you see how it looks like she has 3 breasts? That forearm coming around her body and being cut off by the black band on her wrist makes it look wrong although that was the position. So...push back the forearm with shading so it doesn't look so odd? Does it look that way to you - or just to me?

2 comments:

Deb Léger said...

I love the colours you're using in your hollyhocks, Rhonda!

Now that you mention it, I see that third breast. lol. I'd take it right out - just that one area that looks like the third breast. The rest looks great though!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Deb :) I wonder if no one would have mentioned the 3rd boob if I didn't mention it? Nah, it was there - I didn't see it until I scanned it and then I looked and knew it has to be greyed back to look right.