Wednesday, February 21, 2024

READING ABOUT AND PAINTING MERMAIDS

I’ve been reading while recuperating from the flare up of the back pain…mostly escapism about mermaids.  


And that made me want to paint mermaids more.  Here are two I did prior to the back pain..

The first one is trapped in a glass container and not happy about it; one just sunbathing.  But neither are the mythical mermaids of song and sea shanty…no beautiful girls here with fish tails.

First painting on watercolor paper 140# cold press.  Second painting on YUPO paper (the plastic paper that makes your paint just slide right off if you don’t control the water).  Watercolor and gouache on YUPO - a lesson in patience and letting go of too much control!




4 comments:

laura said...

That second mermaid is in a state of dreamy bliss! As blissful as the first is pi**ed! You really captured their moods!
I hope your back will feel better soon!

Debbie Nolan said...

Rhonda - sorry to read about your back. Hope you are getting better. Your mermaids are a delightful subject. Like the way you captured the one in the bottle. Take care and get better soon. Hugs!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

More fiery, strong females? Surely not. I love that you paint 'don't mess with me ladies' ;o) they are much more memorable. Gentle hugs and back healing thoughts.

RH Carpenter said...

Laura, I love your descriptions of the mermaids and what they are thinking/feeling!!
Debbie, my back is on the mend now. Thanks so much. I keep trying to post on your blog but it seems it won’t go through with my name so if you see some Anonymous ones, they are probably from me - I will try to remember to put my name at the end of my comments so you know Anonymous is my post - don’t know why it’s doing that.