Monday, February 26, 2024

NATURAL GREYS

 An artist who has videos on YouTube shared how she does shadows on her nature paintings and I liked it a lot.  Her name = Kelly Hoernig.  You should check her out.  She does a lot with sketchbooks and nature.

Here is my version on her lesson.  She uses Daniel Smith German Greenish Raw Umber added to Daniel Smith Lavender.  I used Holbein Lavender (which I had) and then tried out the Umber with Verditer Blue.  Both the Lavender and the Blue are opaque colors and I liked both mixes.

I added the little bit of driftwood at the bottom for my own…the single acorn and the bud was from her lesson.



4 comments:

Sadami said...

Dear Rhonda, You've demonstrated lovely and rich greys. Enjoy your "rich" brand, too!! Please look after your health. I hope the shot has healed your pain that'll be gone. Kind regards, love, Sadami

laura said...

I will definitely check her out. Never thought to make gray with umber and lavender!
You are so good with driftwood!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

The driftwood is divine! I can feel its sunwarmed, seaworn lightness. I think you may have tempted me to investigate a new blue, I've not heard of this one before and it sounds interesting. Best wishes.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Sadami, Laura and Lisa. Sadami, back is fine now - just a 2-week setback but that happens once in a while. I know you know all about that. So glad you are being recognized for the work you are doing!!
Laura, I never heard of that German Raw Umber until then…but, of course, had to buy a small tube to see what it was like - not bad!
Lisa, thanks, and an apology for making you go out and buy more paint! Ha ha. I do have a set palette but I’m adding a lot of interesting colors lately that may stay or may be forgotten once the tube is empty. I can’t resist a new color even if I know I can mix it with what I have (it never seems just right when mixed and can vary a lot).