Friday, March 23, 2018

FLYING X 2



I used the previous flying crow painting as reference for this one.  It was drawn using Daniel Smith's Walnut Ink and then water added to blend that...then watercolor (only Indanthrone Blue).  
I drew out the feathers/lines with a bamboo pen and the walnut ink.  





Much different from the first one (below), where I only used Daniel Smith Lunar Black in the painting and drizzled the lines outward from the back, putting down water and pigment and tilting the painting so everything ran that way.




7 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Awesome!!!

AK said...

Both these works are beautiful. Trying out new techniques and mediums gives much joy.

Cathy Gatland said...

Lovely flying movement in these crows, I prefer the less controlled drips in the bottom one, and the granulation, but like the blue and brown mix.

debwardart said...

The black one is wonderful!!!

Jennifer Rose said...

so much energy :D

RH Carpenter said...

Thank you, Chris, Asit and Cathy. I enjoyed the drips in the bottom one, too, but I enjoyed drawing with the walnut ink and then letting that bleed, too - so many art supplies, so little time! Ha ha

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Deb and Jennifer Rose :). Yes, I like the Lunar Black one the best, too, Deb :)