Saturday, October 23, 2010

OUT AND ABOUT

We took a short road trip on Thursday to see the Middletown Arts Center juried show.  I recognized some names in the show (some friends, some not).  I saw some really powerful work (none of which placed according to the 3 judges for the show), and some pretty stuff and some intricately painted stuff.  It was another beautiful autumn day and I want to be out enjoying such days before the cold and rain comes in.

My favorite piece in the show (which consisted of drawing, watermedia, oil, mixed media and photography) was an ink portrait by Stephen Bischoff (he has a blog but it's mostly writing right now so you have to click this link to see his work but the link seems odd because it won't allow you to open the photos any larger, but try it and see =  http://www.coroflot.com/public/individual_set.asp?set_id=43047&individual_id=125915

The portrait of Ugly Man drew me back to look at it again and again. 

I think my definition of art is changing.  I need to see more than technique now and need to have a work move me, make me feel something.  And I need to stretch myself to get there with my own work.

In order to do that, I need to be painting.  And I'm in a lazy mood.  Perhaps I need a nice long road trip before winter to get me ready to bear down and get some work done that means something.  Perhaps I need to stop making excuses for not working and just keep putting paint to paper until something good happens.

1 comment:

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Rhonda,
Boy, are we in sync. Feeling something has also become my measure for what is good or great art. For such a long time, my goal was to create something like the pretty paintings I love. It seemed at some point, my own style would kick in and all would be right with the world.
What a change! You've seen it taking place and I can tell you it makes all the difference. Talk about being liberated!
Enjoy!
Gary.