Monday, September 27, 2010

MORNING GLORY POOL - SMALL STUDY

Rather than jumping in with a large painting right away, I'll take Carrie's good advice and do a small study before tackling the larger one - just to get a feel for the colors, how it works or doesn't in the composition, etc.

So I did this study of Morning Glory Pool at Yellowstone National Park (5.25" x 11" scrap of Arches cold press). 

I'm happy with the colors and the texture.  But it definitely needs a sense of place - so a walkway or some background to put it somewhere rather than floating in place.

So now on to something bigger but also with a bit more stuff to tell you what you're actually looking at in this painting.

And it's about time for another portrait, I think.  (I did challenge myself to do one a week and I've been a bit lax on that.)

I don't know what it is - the rain, the cool air that says autumn is here, or maybe too much caffeine but I feel like I want to do everything right now.  And I just checked and my Cheap Joe's order is going to be delivered today = artist tape I've been needing AND a roll of Arches paper!!!  Whew!!!  Ready for the next challenge???

8 comments:

debwardart said...

I think you definitely captured the colors and idea of the pool (I remember seeing it) but it looks a little "float-y" so perhaps anchor it to the ground on the lower right, not so much of a hard dark line ??? or - just consider it a wonderful abstract shape ???
Wish I could get my energy up - even this cool weather hasn't helped - but IT'S RAINING - YIPPEE!

Vicki Greene said...

Those colors are wonderful!

Prabha N. said...

I think watercolor medium you used does wonders to this Morning Glory Pool. Makes me want to visit the Park and study such intense colors myself!

RHCarpenter said...

Thanks, Deb. The larger painting will be more settled into a landscape so it's more recognizable.

Vicki, thanks, they were fun to play with - lots of Lunar Earth and Goethite and Cobalt Blue :)

Prabha, there is something other-worldly about the place and I think autumn is the perfect time - early September, before the snows.

AK said...

I agree with Debwardart. The colors are lovely.

RHCarpenter said...

Thank you, Asit!

Nick said...

looks like a slice out of some kind of rock, agate, etc. Pretty cool, Rhonda!

RHCarpenter said...

Nick, you're right - I didn't really see it that way but looking at it again, it looks like a gemstone, cut in half :) Thanks for stopping by and commenting!