Sunday, July 25, 2010

HERE GO - MORE VARIATIONS...OR NOT

It's hard for me to really break away and vary things from the beginning drawing I have in my mind (even though it's at the bottom of the pile now and I'm using the last one to create the latest one - if that makes any sense). So...I need to take some time with these and not just slap-dash them out. Think about line, design, values, color and composition (all that good stuff) - and detour maybe with one thing at a time?

So far, I've liked No. 4 the best - and it was more design-oriented with no color, just black and white.

But here are Nos 6, 7, and 8.


No. 6 was on Tyvek paper and it went through a lot of changes (at one time, he became a she and a mermaid but I didn't like it so I wiped it all back off the paper, leaving just the stains).



No. 7 was in my little sketchbook while watching something on TV. Got into doodles and things and left out a lot. I like it, too.














And then No. 8 went back again, working from a "print" of No. 6 so it's flipped. Then playing with pointillism.












































And No. 9 is on a square scrap of 140# watercolor paper with just graphite, charcoal and a bit of conte crayon to draw it. So the body is gone...just the head remains..and he was so bored, I put him to sleep!






Perhaps time to get out some collage like Myrna did?

(And, I don't know where that huge honker came from - it just developed and spread more and more - not a very attractive guy!)



4 comments:

Myrna Wacknov said...

So far, number 7 has evolved into something very unique! Keep going, I am loving it.

Barb Sailor said...

This Chinese Whisper painting project is absolutely fascinating. You could just go and go and go, etc. with this one, couldn't you?
I am behind on my posting - but want to tell you how much I enjoyed your posts from Chicago - such beautiful paintings.

Carol King said...

these are so cool. I can't wait to see more.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Myrna, your support is most welcome - I seem to have my feet stuck in the mud with changes on this one but I'm trying to pull out and see where it takes me without a lot of preconceived notions about what is HAS to be :)

Barb, thanks, it's fun and exciting and sometimes disappointing, too - some you just hate but I'm sharing the whole process hoping I end up somewhere really interesting. Glad you enjoyed the Chicago pics.

Carol, thanks! I hope you enjoy the ride.