Sunday, May 18, 2008

What Kind of Plant Is This?

I took the photo and several others at the Ormond Beach, FL Gardens. I don't have a clue what it is but it caught my eye. So I'm painting it. Anyone know what it is called?


This is on Twinrocker paper that I've never used - it has a bit of texture but it isn't rough. It's supposed to be coldpress but this is the texture it has. Also, it's heavy - heavier than 140# but not quite 300# - so it does suck up the paint a bit.





I'm painting this wet-in-wet, prewetting the petals first and then dropping in the color and letting it run. When I try to lift out color, it lifts easily (maybe too easily so I have to be light-handed). Interesting paper. It may be perfect for glazing - maybe I'll use the next sheet for that technique.

For now, taking a break. Tired. Did NOT sleep well at all last night even though I was so tired I was feeling like I was losing touch with my body while I sat on the sofa reading last night. In bed by 9:30!! but awake off and on all night :( grrrrrr Maybe I could use a cup of coffee and back to my book (the latest Jodi Picoult book called Change of Heart).

1 comment:

Nava said...

From what I see, this flower looks a bit like an exotic kind Bird of Paradise, but it's hard to tell from the photo. I like the way you're painting it.

Twinrocker - mmmmm!! I took a workshop with Jim Kosvanec 3 or 4 years ago, he said it was the Mercedes of watercolor papers, and once you use it, it's hard to go back. I haven't used it myself yet, but some day... for now, I am sticking with the good ole' Winsor Newton, which I love.