Thursday, May 22, 2008

Cordyline Ruined :(


Well, my watercolor teacher, Sandy M., suggested I put a dark mixed green color at top in the center and fading out lighter on the edges. I tried. Really I did. And when it wasn't working I tried even harder and got messier and then finally just took the whole thing, put it under running water in the tub, and washed it off with my hand until - well - now it looks like it has measles :(



So the moral of the story is - if you don't feel well enough to get out of the house and go to the gym because the sinus pressure in your head makes you feel punk, then you don't feel like making good decisions when it comes to painting so leave it alone.
But I'm not giving up on this one - it's definitely a "do-over" with a different technique in mind and maybe even different paper. I've heard that Twinrocker paper is called the Mercedes of paper - and maybe another try and I'll think that way, too, but I didn't fall in love with it on the first go-round.
Today going to visit our new grandbaby, Devlin, and see how he's grown in almost 2 weeks and get some new photos.

5 comments:

Deb Léger said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh what a shame! This was looking so good! Do you think maybe it was the paper as well as your cold? I think I'll hold off on trying this paper. lol. I hope you do start this one again Rhonda. It'll be awesome!

Deb Léger said...

ps to the above comment; everytime I read your's and Ann's blog, it makes me want to get my butt in gear and work on my own. lol! My horoscope today said some things then this: you just love going out on a limb with your pals. lol.

Sandy Maudlin said...

Hope your head's feeling better by now. All is not lost. For paper that expensive, give it a second shot. I actually won my first award with a picture I hated and had washed off under the sink, so anything's possible. Bring it to class. Start a new one.

The advice about putting yellow under the red is some we heard years ago at a workshop - and great for hot hot reds. Not sure this red qualifies overall for a yellow wash, tho, due to the coolness of some of the red areas.

Looking forward to 2 new paintings of this cordyline.

How did they like the portrait?

Nava said...

Actually - - - I honestly don't see what's wrong with it now. What I see is texture - wonderful texture!

In fact, now that you have nothing to lose, why don't you try to add darks and see what happens? Sometimes, such accidents lead to wonderful discoveries.

RH Carpenter said...

Deb, I didn't have a cold, just sinus pressure but I'll blame that! haha I like that horoscope!
Thanks, Sandy, unfortunately I have a migraine this morning :( I think it's allergies wearing me down and I don't know what is in the air to cause them but I can tell I'm having problems. So I get to try out my new migraine meds today! I like your idea of giving it a second shot (thanks, Nava, for suggesting to just keep working on it, too). That paper is too costly to just toss it aside so I'll try but also start another. I didn't think the yellow underpainting would work because these leaves look more raspberry to me - no warms really.