Friday, May 9, 2008

Continuing Hollyhocks + Update on the Baby Cardinals


I decided to do a poured painting with the hollyhock painting. So first I poured misket (Pebeo Drawing Gum) on dry 140# cp watercolor paper (I taped it so it wouldn't buckle too much).

I let that dry completely and then poured my yellow (Hansa Yellow Medium), my red (Rhodonite Genuine), and my blue (Cobalt Blue) around the paper, letting it run off the sides. I kept a square porcelain bowl underneath to catch the runs.

I let that dry completely overnight and did another pour using the same colors to get a more intense color here and there. That has to dry, too.




While that's drying, I'll check on the baby cardinals for those birdwatchers in the group :)






Not much change today and they sleep A LOT! The eyes are open, though, and they do look up at me sometimes but they seem to know I'm not mama or papa now and no open mouths automatically when I peer into the nest.













5 comments:

Dawn said...

ohh that pour is very pretty so far!

wow those babies are huge!

your male juv cards wont turn all red till around oct sometime.

Sandy Maudlin said...

I sure like how well the pour is going. And I really like those fur coats those cardinals have on. They are so adorable. Thanks for posting.

Ann Buckner said...

Lovely clean colors. I am anxious to see your next step on this one.

Those baby cardinals are so cute. Thanks for posting updates about them.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Dawn, Sandy, Ann! Dawn, the males won't turn red until October??? Are you sure? They will be out of the nest soon, as big as they are and as crowded as it's getting in there!! I'm hoping to save the nest, too, for future drawings or paintings :)
Sandy, the babies are good - the parents are PEEP PEEP PEEPing all the time now and it's getting annoying! haha
Thanks Ann :) I am starting to put in some darks with the brush now.

Deb Léger said...

Hi Rhonda, I"m watching your pour and can't wait to see how it turns out. Love your colours. Those baby cardinals are just soooo cute!