Thursday, February 27, 2020

PORTRAIT COLORS





Have been reading a few books written by portrait/figure artists and looking at the colors they choose.  Mary Whyte, an amazing portrait artist, chooses these colors with a few darker pigments to get really dark skin.  Her portraits and figure work is wonderful, with a very finished look to the end.  I like that - and the portraits that are looser and less finished looking (like Charles Reid, etc.).







I’m not a portrait or figure artist, but I seem to have A LOT of books about the subject from a variety of artists.  Guess I just like to look at art that is well-done, whether I can do it or not!

2 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

would make a good practice series trying portraits :)

RH Carpenter said...

You know I'm going to have to try a portrait again, Jennifer! ha ha