Friday, July 7, 2017

SOME STARTS BUT NO FINISHES + NO DECISIONS


I seem to be making a lot of starts but not finishing anything.  So, I'll just share the starts and, hopefully, I'll finish this sometime soon.  

Another magnolia with a little honeybee inside.  


There is something very appealing about this first wash of colors.



But, of course, you cannot leave it that way and must darken and shape things as you move along.  


This is on a half sheet (15 x 22 inches)
of Arches 140# coldpress paper.

I think I'll call this one 
Little Visitor


I think I may be starting a lot of things as a way to not choose anything for any of the upcoming shows = displacement activity.

5 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Great start, Rhonda! And I love the title!
Haha! I know exactly what you mean by displacement activity. I have a pile of starts in storage & some are more than a few years old.
For some reason, it's tough getting motivated in the summer months, but your artist brain will kick in & see you through. Most people love seeing in-progress shots anyway. Hope you keep posting them!

Barbra Joan said...

Well a start is better than nothing. This is going to be a good one. I've always loved white flowers.

Jennifer Rose said...

It could be displacement, but better that then an art block and not starting anything. better to have lots of started projects to pick from to work on then nothing. I have way too many things going on right now but im not doing the uni research I should be :p that def is displacement activity lol

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Chris. I guess starts always mean to can go back at some time but it does seem a bit unsettled.

Thanks, Barbra Joan :) My goal is to paint white without having white in the flower at all - but still making it look white.

Jennifer Rose, yes, better than just nothing coming off the brush and I can always go back to the starts when the muse hits again.

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Rhonda this looks like a wonderful start. I am hearing you too friend because I often make starts and then find it so difficult to finish. I am sure you will in time come up with the end!