Wednesday, February 25, 2015

BIRDS AND OTHERS



The birds are pretty active around the feeders, trying to get their bellies full on these bitterly cold days and nights.  I'm putting out extra so everyone gets a chance to eat.  Here are some photos of the birds (and one squirrel who was braving the snow).


This little red finch, looking a bit disgruntled to be out in the snow.









A nice drink after eating at the suet feeder is always nice.








That snow is piling up on the table.  Gotta dig down to get to the good stuff.











We've been seeing this Rufous Sided Towee coming around to eat, too.

















What do you mean, goldfinches only?  That's discrimination!

7 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

DEAR RHONDA - BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS OF THE BIRDS. I LOVE THE RUFUS TOWHEE ONES. I HAVEN'T SPOTTED ANY OF THESE YET - BUT I WILL BE WATCHING FOR THEM - HOPEFULLY SOON - HUGS

humbird said...

Haha...love your last comment! me too - enjoy watching the birds! Cheers :)x

Unknown said...

I can see where you get some of your inspirations for your artwork! You have a lovely wildlife retreat right there! Great photos :)

Autumn Leaves said...

Awww...poor little guy in last photo!!

RH Carpenter said...

Debbie, the rufus towhees are fairly rare around here but I do seem them in spring (this little one is early!). So glad you won't have to have surgery on your wrist!

Yes, spring has to come soon, humbird!! Seems like we got winter all in one week and there is still about 6 inches of snow on the ground and piled on the streets, etc.

Katherine, the birds make me smile even when nothing else can! They are just so amazing and I love bringing them around with the different feeders we have. They have had a rough couple of weeks.

Yes, he looks like the kid who never got picked in gym class, Sherry! ha ha Those goldfinches do hog that one feeder (even though there are two finch feeders there).

MILLY said...

How nice to watch the birds and see so many enjoying the food and water. I think that is your reward for feeding them. The snow sounds so deep and cold in your part of the world. Hope you are coping, keeping warm and no frozen pipes!

RH Carpenter said...

Hi, Milly. Yes, my reward for braving the -0 temps out there is watching all the little feathered friends outside my kitchen window = better than reality t.v.! ha ha