Saturday, September 20, 2014

IT HAPPENS EVERY TIME

Every time I go away for a few days, I pack up my art supplies:  watercolor sketchbook and drawing sketchbook (with a bit of tooth), small travel watercolor kit Sweetie bought me years ago, a variety of pencils.  And do I sketch or paint?  Almost never!  Why do I think I will become this wonderfully loose plein aire painter when I travel when I never do it here? ha ha



Like Jack in the Story of Jack and the Beanstalk, I loved looking down to find the magnolia seeds glowing like rubies on the sidewalks of Savannah.  I brought home several in my pockets.  And although I always bring home a bit of Spanish Moss when I go south, I was told it holds chiggers and I shouldn't do it.  So far, I've never brought home chiggers on it, but was safe and put it in a plastic baggie with a seal this time - just in case. 




The magnolia at the end of our street was dropping pods and I brought one in to draw.  The pods are really fuzzy but I didn't get that look to this one.


  




So just two sketches drawn, painted when I came home.

Do you take your sketching and painting supplies with you when you travel?  Do you use them?  

Time to print out some photos of the trip and maybe do some paintings of 
Savannah :)  After a chilly week back, it's turning a bit warmer here with sunshine.  




8 comments:

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

I always pack a mountain of supplies and rarely use them - always the optimist ;o)

I had to google 'chiggers' I'd not heard the expression. I wish I hadn't now I'm all itchy... YUK! Lol.

RH Carpenter said...

I keep hoping I'll be able to sit and sketch or paint - but Sweetie keeps us on the go go go all the time so it has to be photograph it a couple of times and go.
Sorry about the itching! I get the same way when I read about itchy bugs :) My sister still remembers vividly when she was bit many times by chiggers when she was a child and how itchy and red it was all over. I never had the displeasure of running into them before this!

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Rhonda - I enjoy painting outdoors but not in uncomfortable conditions. It is nice when it cold and snowy to have brought some simple subjects indoors where one can take time to study and draw at a slower pace. Seems like when I do plein aire I never have enough time to finish something well. Besides it is always hard deciding what I need to take and what I should leave behind (maybe me) - lol!!

RH Carpenter said...

I feel the same way, Debbie. I suppose, if you did it enough, you would get used to carrying just enough things in a small pack and walking around - with a small folding camp chair, maybe? Or a blanket on the ground...it seems like I want to take everything with me unless I'm at home!

Alice Jo Webb said...

I have a lovely travel kit and all the best desires in the world! The problem is, I always travel with my husband along. He's a great guy, don't misunderstand me, he just doesn't want to sit and wait while I paint. So… like you I take a picture and hope it'll go into my little travel book. Sometimes it does, mostly it doesn't. Sigh...

RH Carpenter said...

Yes, Alice, I am with my Sweetie, too, and although he'll take lots of time with a particular photograph, he wouldn't stand around and wait for me to sketch and paint something! So photo references will have to do for now (and that could just be an excuse but I do often paint from some small thing I've brought into the house at the kitchen table, even when travelling - but I have to have the time to do that while he's watching t.v. or reviewing all the photos on his camera). Have a wonderful fall (I enjoyed visiting your blog!)

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

I always pack supplies. And then end up not using them very often. Oh well.

RH Carpenter said...

I wonder why we think we need to pack them without using them - perhaps we think we'll have more down time on vacation, but that never happens! Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Carol :)