Thursday, June 19, 2014

DO IT

I have 3 paintings I'm working on - all full size sheets of Arches 140# cold press.  None of them are finished.  I have also been looking through older paintings (for me, that means earlier this year or last fall and winter), trying to choose a few for the shows coming up.  I'm procrastinating on finishing things.

As Roger Miller said in 
You Can't Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd:

"All you gotta do it put your mind to it.
Knuckle down.
Buckle down.
Do it!  Do it!  Do it!"

In an art magazine a while back, I got an address to send a request for the new Golden watercolors they've come up with.  They are called QOR Modern Watercolors and are supposed to have more pigment than other brands.  This is what I got in the mail:








Front of the little card I got of a few samples from Golden.









Inside - the samples on the right.  I used them to paint the strips on the left.  Bright colors, but they sure don't give you much for free - not enough to paint anything with but swatches.  The dabs of paint didn't even bead up = flat and hardly anything there.  (I've heard on a few art blogs that people got samples and painted with them - maybe they got better samples because they are more well known?)

I don't know how much these cost or what sizes the tubes come in, but if you're interested, you can probably check them out online.

Happy painting!






6 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Rhonda - haven't run across these watercolors as of yet. It would take quite a bit for me to choose them over Daniel Smith, Da Vinci or Winsor Newton and M Graham company. Maybe if they give us artists a big enough sample to really try - may be interested (LOL)! Have a great week-end.

Vandy said...

I know that feeling. I find it's worse as deadlines start to loom and I put of making decisions.

Good luck with the exhibitions.

Ginny Stiles said...

Yes, I have sent for these samples too.
Daniel Smith used to send out these hard little blobs too so I know what to expect.

Sometime a company will send more if you are teaching a class and you are willing to fill out a questionnaire after you use them.
Atelier acrylics was very generous a few years ago when they first came out and sent me a lot of stuff! I do like this acrylics.

Autumn Leaves said...

You definitely matched those colors on the front of the card, Rhonda. They look like gorgeous colors.

RH Carpenter said...

Debbie, I thought they were a bit cheap in the amount they give you - I did look them up and they are not cheap to buy so I'll stick with my Daniel Smith and Holbein :)
Vandy, we humans are funny beings - we know we could get things done early but hardly ever do. Of course, if I get things done next week, I'm early - so not feeling too badly yet :)
Ginny, I got some freebies from DS in orders, too - they gave you more pigment on the cards.
Sherry, it's funny but I never thought of matching those colors on the front of the card - I just painted little strips of the colors you get in that card (I think there are 3 different palettes). Won't be doing anything else with them, though - not enough paint. Looks like Dick Blick and Jerry's Artarama both sell them but they aren't cheap.

hw (hallie) farber said...

I love your new (to me, anyway) header; I remember when you were working on Mr. Crow. Beautiful.