Monday, November 18, 2013

NEW DVD: WATERCOLOR PORTRAITS OF THE SOUTH


I recently purchased a new DVD from one of my favorite living artists, Mary Whyte.  The DVD is called Watercolor Portraits of the South.  It is one of the best DVD's I've watched - ever.  Mary goes from planning a plein aire modelling session to drawing and sketching out thumbnails to watercolor sketches in the field - with plenty of photos for reference.  She does all this as a planning stage for her larger paintings done in the studio.  I can't praise this DVD enough.  A lot of times, you want to learn more about portrait painting and you get bits and pieces on a DVD that leaves you with questions.  I haven't even finished this DVD (which runs for 129 minutes) but it has already inspired me to get back to a painting I had left unfinished - that, to me, is a good DVD!

Mary is an exceptional artist and you get to watch her paint loose, big shapes (paint the big shapes first, she says) and then focus on the smaller, more detailed elements like eyes, nose and mouth.  She takes her time but it's magic watching her paint and you say, "I get it!"  She obviously knows how to draw and she works on her compositions until she gets what she wants (hence all the sketches and photos).  

In the DVD, we get to meet her model and Mary's husband (who is her framer) and learn about his way of looking at Mary's artwork and how his handmade frames enhance her paintings.  He says, "She didn't marry me for my money," and Mary replies, "I married him for his frames!"  

This is not a DVD I'll watch once and then put away and never look at again.  I can see myself taking this one out and watching again and again - not only because I love her work but because it's a real learning experience.  If you can't take a workshop from Mary Whyte, this is the next best thing.

My only disappointment is that she has no southern accent!  I knew she wasn't born and raised in South Carolina, but thought that, after all these years, she would have picked up the accent a little bit.  I know I would!

The Christmas season is almost here, if the store shelves are to be an indication - so put this on your wish list or buy it for yourself.  


8 comments:

suzanneberry said...

Whoa! i'm off to purchase this, thank you! i have a book with her work and it makes me swoon! thanks for sharing!

Carol Blackburn said...

Sounds like a must have.

Debbie Nolan said...

Rhonda - this sounds great. I have long enjoy Mary Whyte's work. May have to whisper a suggestion in hubby's ear for Christmas. Take care and have great week.

Sadami said...

Thank u, Rhonda! I'll check it at my art supply. Xmas sale starts next Mon.
Cheers, Sadami

Autumn Leaves said...

Great review, Rhonda!!

Helen K. Beacham Fine Art said...

I've watched this myself and I totally agree that it's easy and addictive to watch and just well done all around. Mary has done so much to make collectors aware that watercolor painters like us deserve to be taken seriously.

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

I'm going to check this out. Even though she doesn't speak with a southern accent, I bet her brush does.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, everyone - I think you'll enjoy this if you add it to your collection, especially if you want to watch her work and hear more about her life as an artist. She may be the highest paid watercolor artist around today, and she has done a lot to raise the level of watercolor paintings. Just wish we all could have a framer in the family :)