Thursday, July 5, 2007

Thursday, July 5, 2007 - Landscape: Dark Skies and Fields

I had a photo I printed out from the WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/) Image Reference Library (IRL) a long time ago. The photo was taken by K9 Artist and was called Dark Clouds Over Farmland in her photo. I had this around a long time, meaning to do it. But I don't do landscapes! So now that I'm in the landscape group on yahoo http://groups.yahoo.com/group/watercolorlandscapestudygroup) I'm being pushed to do them!
So I picked this one out and did it - 1/2 sheet Arches coldpress.
Her photo is above.



My painting is ---------->

I think my printer dulled the colors much more than what you see of the photo on the monitor because I didn't intentionally paint it much duller in colors and warmer. Oh, well...every landscape I do is a positive thing because I really don't know much about landscapes and the rules and what works and doesn't work - yet.

4 comments:

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Hi Rhonda...Your colors do look warmer than those in the ref photo, but they look good, also. What a great sky in the photo! You did well with that. The only thing I would suggest would be to break up that horizontal line by adding a few, indistinct trees along the horizon; they are in the ref photo and would add some interest there.

Susan

RH Carpenter said...

You know, Susan, it had been sooo long since I looked at the photo I didn't see the trees until I uploaded the photo again! I could put them in but...hmmm...will think about that. I'm just being lazy because I don't seem to want to work hard enough on landscape (and maybe that's why I never learn how to do them). Lazy :(

Marilyn Fuerstenberg said...

barksWow Rhonda your art is very good. I haven't visited your blog for a while and your figure drawings are awesome. You have come a long way, your hard work is paying off.
Marilyn Fuerstenberg

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Marilyn! That is high praise coming from you :) Sorry I couldn't edit this as you asked - have no idea why the word "barks" came up before your post - maybe just to draw added attention to your great praise :) ha-ha