Thursday, April 25, 2024

STRANGE DAYS, INDEED

 Well, I usually get into ruts when I’m not in a challenge, workshop or anything but this RUT has got me.  I began with the Sktchy.com challenge of 30 faces/30 days and was doing well the first few, then really struggled with a portrait that beat me…and then somehow I had a change in my mindset and I was thinking “I can’t do this.”  So…gave it some time.  Decided I could give myself 2 months to do the challenge instead of just 30 days.  And did a few more and then…another roadblock where I could not paint the portrait like the instructor again no mater how many do-overs I had.

Hmmm…perhaps the problem is that I just have to paint like me, not like the instructors.  Maybe I’ve gone far enough along in my journey that I do have a style and it is fighting with the instructors’ styles.  I especially struggle when the instructor leaves a lot of whites or open space with light colors.  

So…taking a break.  Giving myself some breathing room.  My sister (my only baby sister who means everything to me) is having health issues and I am worried a lot.  My sweetie is having age-related health issues, too, and that is worrying me, too.  So maybe worry and creativity don’t mix?

Anyway…back in time for Cinco de Mayo - but until then, I’ll have a few margaritas just to get ready!

Hope your spring is showing you some beautiful sights.  The other night at 1:30 am there was a mockingbird in our bushes in front of the house singing and going through quite a repertoire of songs and sounds - pretty cool but why at 1:30 am??  Don’t they sleep?


No comments: